Air frying is a method of cooking that delivers the delicious flavor and satisfying crunch of deep-fried food but uses little to no oil to achieve those results. The way it works is that an air frying oven quickly circulates superheated air throughout the oven, cooking your food from all angles to create a crispy, fried layer and even-browning on all sides.
Until now, air frying required investing in a countertop appliance, but Frigidaire has released the first ranges on the market that include air fry built right into the oven. Both a countertop air fryer and an air frying oven can help you create healthier and delicious meals, but there are key differences you should know about when deciding which is best for you.
What is an Air Fryer Oven?
An air fryer oven is a full-sized oven that features an air fry cooking mode integrated within the oven cavity. With this innovative technology, you can now enjoy all of the benefits of air fry no matter what kind of range you're looking for - induction, gas, or electric. By using a high-powered fan to circulate hot air around the food at a high speed, our in-range air fry feature cooks ingredients to a perfectly crisped finish.
The Benefits of an Air Frying Oven
An air frying oven uses little to no oil to create a flavorful and crunchy texture on foods and boasts all of the same benefits as a standalone air fryer - with some additional conveniences.
- The air fry feature is integrated right into your oven, eliminating the need to store an extra appliance or take up valuable counter space.
- An air frying oven has more capacity, saving you time and allowing you to cook more food at once so that there's always enough for the whole family.
- A Frigidaire Air Fry Oven does more than just air fry, so one appliance works harder for you. Enjoy other features such as Even Baking with True Convection, Fast Steam Cleaning, and Smudge-Proof® Stainless Steel.
What is a Countertop Air Fryer?
A traditional air fryer is a countertop appliance with a fryer-style basket that mimics the results of deep-frying. With a countertop fryer, the heating mechanism rapidly circulates the hot air around the food. Countertop air fryers typically range from 3 to 5 quarts, and a 5-quart appliance works best to serve 1 to 2 people.
The Benefits of a Countertop Air Fryer
If you have plenty of counter and storage space, air fry foods regularly, and only need to feed a few people, a countertop air fryer might be the right choice for you.
Some benefits of choosing a countertop air fryer include:
- It will fit right on your countertop and can be stored away once you're finished using it.
- Depending on the size and features, most countertop air fryers are budget-friendly and are available in a variety of price points.
- Because there's less capacity, a countertop air fryer can cook smaller batches of food quickly.
What Foods Can You Cook in an Air Frying Oven?
An air fryer oven does a delicious job at cooking most traditional deep-fried foods and these are some of our favorites:
- Sweet Potato or French fries
- Chicken wings or tenders
- Zucchini fries
- Onion rings
- Pepperoni pizza rolls
- Mac ‘n’ cheese
- Brussel sprouts
Three Tips for the Best Air Fryer Oven Cooking Results
Just like any form of cooking, air frying can be an art form. Use these helpful tips to make sure your meal turns out perfectly browned and crisp every time.
- Don’t overload the pan or tray. If ingredients are packed too close together, the hot air won’t be able to reach all the edges and create that perfect fried crispiness.
- Double-check your recipe. The proper cooking time and the temperature are essential for the best air fryer oven results. Also, make sure you are using the correct amount of oil. With no oil, food will not be as crisp, and the texture can turn gritty, but too much oil and food can turn out soggy. Be sure to use cooking oils or sprays that can stand up to high temperatures like avocado, grapeseed, and peanut oils.
- Use the correct tray. The optional ReadyCook™ Air Fry Tray lets air circulate around each piece of food, creating quicker, crispier results. When using the Air Fry Tray, put a baking sheet on a rack or two below it. This keeps drips and crumbs from landing on the oven bottom, where they can burn and create smoke. For additional protection, place some foil-lined parchment paper on the baking sheet.
The bottom line
Air frying food is a great tasting alternative to traditional frying methods whether it's a countertop air fryer or an air frying oven. If you're looking to create healthier and delicious meals for your family, learn more about the added benefits of having air fry right in your oven.